Navigating Winter with Porous Paving
As winter blankets the landscape with a glistening layer of snow and ice, communities face the annual challenge of maintaining safe and accessible outdoor spaces. Traditional pavement surfaces can become hazardous and are often accompanied by environmental concerns, from icy sidewalks to slippery roads. However, innovative porous paving solutions like Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 from Invisible Structures are changing the game, offering sustainable, durable, and winter-ready alternatives. In this blog post, we will explore the advantages of porous paving in winter weather and specifically compare Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 to their competitors.
The Basics of Porous Paving
Porous paving, also known as permeable pavement, is a type of surface that allows water to pass through, reducing runoff and minimizing surface water pollution. Unlike traditional impermeable surfaces like asphalt or concrete, porous paving is designed to absorb and filter water, preventing puddles and minimizing the risk of ice formation during the winter months. This innovative approach to pavement design not only benefits the environment but also proves to be highly effective in managing winter weather challenges.
When compared to traditional porous paving solutions, Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 from Invisible Structures stand out due to their ability to provide reliable winter performance. The combination of natural elements, load-bearing structure, and permeability sets these solutions apart from the competition.
Grasspave2: A Winter Wonderland Ally
Invisible Structures’ Grasspave2 is a porous paving solution that integrates grass with a load-bearing structure, providing a green and sustainable alternative to traditional pavements. Grasspave2 excels in preventing snow accumulation, as the grass helps to trap heat and melt snow faster than traditional surfaces. In winter, Grasspave2 shines as a reliable solution for various reasons:
- Snow Infiltration: Grasspave2’s porous design allows snow to infiltrate, preventing the formation of ice on the surface. This ensures a safer environment for both pedestrians and vehicles.
- Natural Insulation: The grass cover acts as a natural insulator, reducing the impact of extreme cold on the underlying structure. This helps maintain the integrity of the pavement during winter.
- Eco-friendly De-icing: Grasspave2 is compatible with eco-friendly de-icing agents, minimizing the environmental impact commonly associated with chemical de-icers.
Gravelpave2: A Rock-Solid Winter Performer
Gravelpave2, another product from Invisible Structures, is a porous paving system that utilizes gravel to create a sturdy and environmentally friendly surface. This system excels in winter conditions by preventing snow and ice accumulation while offering a rugged and durable solution for high-traffic areas. In winter, Gravelpave2 excels in providing a reliable solution:
- Superior Traction: The gravel-filled cells of Gravelpave2 enhance traction, reducing the risk of slips and falls during icy conditions.
- Quick Snow Melt: The porous structure allows for efficient snow melting, preventing the accumulation of snow and ice on the surface.
- Durability: Gravelpave2’s robust design ensures long-term durability, even in the harshest winter conditions. It withstands freeze-thaw cycles without compromising its structural integrity.
Snow Removal Best Practices for Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2
While the winter advantages of Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 are clear, proper snow removal practices are essential to maintain their functionality and appearance. Here are some best practices for plowing these porous paving systems:
1. Adjust Blade Height: Set the plow blade at an appropriate height to avoid scraping the surface of Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2. Adjust the blade to a level that allows snow removal without causing damage to the porous structure beneath, which would be about an inch off the ground. Simply add a skid to the corners of the plow blades to raise them and proceed as usual. If using a snowblower, adjust the height of the blades to avoid direct contact with the surface.
2. Angle the Blade Properly: Angle the plow blade to push snow to the sides rather than directly in front. This helps prevent excess snow buildup along the edges, which could impact the drainage capabilities of the porous paving.
By following these snow removal best practices, property owners and managers can ensure that Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 maintain their winter performance and continue to provide a durable and aesthetically pleasing solution even in snowy conditions. Proper care and attention during the winter months will contribute to the long-term success of these innovative porous paving systems.
As winter transforms the landscape into a serene wonderland, the importance of reliable, winter-ready paving solutions cannot be overstated. Invisible Structures’ Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2 emerge as champions in this arena, offering not only functionality but also sustainability and aesthetic appeal. Choosing these porous paving solutions ensures that outdoor spaces remain accessible, safe, and beautiful throughout the winter months. Embrace the innovation, embrace the winter wonder with Grasspave2 and Gravelpave2.
For more information about the country’s #1 Porous Paving Systems Since 1982, and a completely customizable Underground Stormwater Storage System, visit invisiblestructures.com
Invisible Structures is the leader in porous paving and stormwater management solutions. We provide the finest in grass porous paving, gravel porous paving, underground stormwater storage, erosion control, drainage, and access mats.